Sustainable Practices

Ways I am Practicing Sustainability


OVERVIEW:

I never really noticed it until I started this blog and my IG account how I was already practicing some sustainable ways in my life and how I could do even more.  I also became more aware of it and what gave me the idea of writing this blog post was the blog post that marmag.creation came out with about "14 approachable tips from sustainable bloggers".  If you haven't read it yet you should and check her out on IG.

ALREADY PRACTICING:

Some things I was already doing to practice sustainability were: shopping secondhand first, recycling, reusing the paper bags from the grocery store to put the recycle in, donating clothes instead of throwing them away, and making my own toner, bronzer, and makeup remover.

NEW WAYS I AM PRACTICING:


  • Re-using my face and makeup containers to put other things in like: soap, lotion, oils, etc.  
  • Re-using the containers you get from a restaurant when you get takeout or in the containers they give you to take your food home in that you can't finish.  I am able to reuse the plastic ones that you get to put leftover in from home.  
  • Grow your own food and make your own compost.  I can say that I have my husband to thank for this one, he loves growing things and since we have to grow everything in pots making our own compost has been fun.
  • Re-use containers your groceries come in.  Recently we have bought some juices that come in glass bottles and they are the perfect thing to wash and keep.  I have been making some sweet green tea and fill up those glass containers to store it in.
  • Use re-usable facial makeup pads.  This you will find featured in marmag.creation's blog post.  This one I didn't start doing until I saw another blogger who did this and I thought, this is genius!  I was using so many cotton pads and they come packaged in plastic.  Now I never have to buy the ones at the store anymore.
  • Reusable shopping/grocery bags.  This is an easy one since most places sell these and a good one to start with if you want to baby step into sustainable practices.
  • Dyer balls instead of dryer sheets.  I have my mom to thank for this one because she gave me hers and now I will never go back to buying them in the store.
  • Recently I just made my own chap stick and bought metal tins to store them in.  This way I can stop buying the ones from the store that come in plastic containers.
  • Making my own Kombucha and using all glass containers for storing.


WAYS I WANT TO IMPROVE:

  • Make my own veggie stock from vegetable scraps.
  • Make my own beeswax covers for food.
  • Buy reusable storage bags.
  • Focus on purchasing groceries that aren't stored in plastic containers or using the plastic bags produce or bulk goods come in.
  • Reduce my face, hair, and body products that come in plastic to something sustainable.

Thanks so much for reading this blog post!  Make sure to visit my IG account and give me a follow - https://www.instagram.com/inthelifeofgray/

Comments

Popular Posts