An Interview with Lorissa of Edella Co.



Lorissa lives in Raleigh, NC.  
She is a mother of two with a passion to create unique statement jewelry pieces since August 2019.
You will get to know a little bit more about her below and make sure to check out her shop using the link.


Question: What Got You Into Jewelry Making?

Answer: I started making earrings as a creative outlet while being a stay at home mom with two girls under two years old! I am creative by nature and was feeling like I really needed a way to engage with that part of myself. The day I decided to begin making earrings in April of 2019 I had just attended a market event where I saw clay earrings for the first time. I thought the idea was so great but I couldn't quite find earrings at the event that appealed to me. It occurred to me that I could try to make them for myself! I fell in love with the process and the creative surge it gave me. In August of 2019 I launched Edella Co and haven't stopped since. Edella Co is almost a year old and I am so grateful for how it has grown! I am looking forward to learning and growing and continuing to create! 


Question: How Does Your Jewelry Process Work?

Answer: So my jewelry process usually begins with color! I mix my own clay colors so I usually will experiment with color mixing and that is a solid starting point. Once I have decided which colors I am interested in working with I will use any given technique to achieve the texture I am going for- whether that be a marbled design or even something extra fun like sculpted floral or hand cut overlapping shapes! I cut my clay out and "cure" or bake them to a temperature that keeps my pieces flexible but sturdy. Once baked I sand, buff, and drill every piece. I then put the earrings together and I am careful to remove any specks of dust I see. It is a lengthy process from start to finish! Detail and quality is important to me so I don't rush the process. 


Question: How Do You Come Up With The Designs?

Answer: I usually come up with my designs by drawing them out! I can see by looking at all of my shaped cutters what I have and how I can place them in such a way that creates a unique and appealing design that is consistent with my style. Drawing the shapes themselves helps me to better visualize the end product.


Question: What Inspires You?

Answer: My work is inspired by so much art and home design! Home designing is something that has totally inspired and I think improved my work. I love the mid century modern style with modern retro shapes and clean lines and I think that has inspired a lot of my earring designs.  


If you're looking for a one of a kind piece of jewelry 
be sure to check out the Edella Co. store using the link above.
Also, give her a follow on IG - Edella Co.

*Thank you for supporting inthelifeofgray by visiting this site.  Be sure to check out my IG!

Comments

Popular Posts