IG Posts: Consumer Vs. Sustainable


Consumer IG Posts

   VS.

Sustainable Posts


I wanted to write this blog post because of something I realized recently.
About six months ago I applied to rewardStyle's program so I could become an affiliate with other brands.

Initially working with rewardStyle and LIketoKnow.it, which are pretty much one in the same, was great.  I was able to search links for items featured in my photos or videos, share the links, and if anyone purchased through those links I would get a percentage of the sale.

I would upload LTK posts to my Instagram when I was wearing products that I could find links to on rewardStyle.  However, since I buy most products secondhand I cannot always find the exact same thing, so then I have to go searching for a similar item to link which is difficult at times.

When you first sign up they encourage you to set a goal to post at least five LTK images a month and generate a certain amount of sales.  I tried at first but this is hard to keep up with; I hadn't been very diligent about it lately and received an email from rewardStyle about image posting.

This email remarked that I hadn't been meeting the goals they set for me of posting five LTK images, increasing my LTK followers by 10 at a time, and earning commission on my LTK-enabled posts.  Then the email said that they wanted to set a long term goal of posting 30 LTK images a month, growing my LTK followers to at least 60, and making sales on the platform in the coming months.

After reading this I felt very overwhelmed by this long term goal.  I started to think about the fact that I don't buy apparel and other goods often enough to produce 30 posts a month.  Nor could I afford to buy apparel and other goods that often so that I could make that many posts each month.  I also contemplated how many of the brands that partner with rewardStyle/LTK are fast fashion brands that I don't buy from nor would I want to encourage my followers to buy from.

As I was thinking about all this I realized that this platform is very consumer driven, that is, it is more about earning commissions rather than on educating others about sustainable brands or shopping secondhand.

It got me thinking about what kind of Instagram posts do I want making up the majority of my profile.  Do I want my posts to be about asking people to buy what they see or about sustainable brands and practices?

Overall I believe there is a balance you can strike between both sides.  For myself I primarily focus on buying secondhand and supporting sustainable brands, but if I wear or use items that I can find links to on LTK I will post this picture to my Instagram.

However, I find the most enjoyment sharing with others items I have found thrift shopping that look similar to sustainable brands or mainstream brands.  It shows my followers you don't have to spend a lot of money to get good quality and timeless pieces.  For instance, in the picture at the beginning this post all the items I am wearing I bought secondhand. 
Blazer - Everlane; Poshmark
Silk Top - Paul Harris Design; Goodwill
Jeans - Orange Tab Levi's; Goodwill
Shoes - Joan David; Goodwill

Lately I have been enjoying working with smaller companies; writing about them and sharing with others the sustainable and eco-friendly practices they are using. 

If you are a smaller company looking for a way to make others aware of your brand and sustainable practices please visit my page "Collab with Nicol".


*Thank you for supporting inthelifeofgray by visiting this site.  Be sure to check out my IG!



Comments

Popular Posts