An Interview With @ForeverBecca

Becca
Thrifter and sustainable blogger.
Get to know more about her below.


Question: How did your sustainable journey start?

Answer: I knew about sweatshops and child labor from a pretty young age— I have a vivid memory of sitting on my mom’s bed while she explained it to me. It was something that made me sad, but that I thought was a part of life I couldn’t control. We also always thrifted growing up, in times when we were and were not well off, so it kinda fluctuated from being something I was embarrassed by and then something I enjoyed. I also have a vivid memory of my freshman year of high school, wearing a thrifted “chambray” denim shirt, and a fashionable, cool-girl asking me where I got it. It was the first time I felt comfortable saying it was something I thrifted! And she thought it was cool too. The idea of thrifting was really shifting at that point. I didn’t fully commit to or even really know about the slow fashion movement until the end of 2018. I had been reading a lot about quitting fast fashion and watching a lot of videos. I did one last fall haul at forever 21 and then that December I did my first ethical clothing haul, during some big sales! This was a really long way of explaining that the values of sustainability have been somewhat presented my whole life— but it was a slower journey figuring out my place in the community and how I could actually make an impact.


Question: What's your favorite thing about being sustainable?

Answer: I have always had a fundamental desire to do good, to make choices that have a positive impact on the world.  I like feeling like I have some control over the bad things going on in the world, so I definitely think that's my #1 favorite thing.  But I also love how it has changed my attitude about clothing and fashion.  I find that I love my clothing so much more and in a different way now.  I have a different appreciation for the things I wear now that I don't treat them as disposable.


Question: How does sustainability bring you joy?

Answer: I kind of touched on this in my last answer, but the knowledge that I’m helping the world in some small way brings me the most joy. However, I think it is a kind of selfish joy at times, and it feels odd to pat myself on the back for doing something that should be the bare minimum!  It's important to remember that as consumers we can only do so much.  The majority is left up to the corporations and governments making these unethical decisions and making it harder for us as consumers to help.


Question: How do you feel that your sustainable efforts make an impact?

Answer: I hope that my efforts to be sustainable and sharing those efforts online, teach others that slow fashion and sustainable living are not unattainable. There are a lot of small, easy changes you can make that still have a big impact!  It doesn't have to be an all or nothing effort, there is a lot of grey area, which is something I'm still learning myself.  I’m not perfect, but I hope that by sharing my journey, I can help normalize living a sustainable lifestyle. 


If you're looking for new sustainable brands and tips 
be sure to check out Becca's Instagram - @foreverbecca

*Thank you for supporting @inthelifeofgray by visiting this site.  Be sure to check out my Instagram!

Comments

Popular Posts