Five Sustainable Jean Brands

Below are my favorite jean brands, that I currently own and wear.  The majority of these I have bought secondhand and would encourage you to do the same as well.  If you are unsure of fit and size, which I know can be tricky at times and a big risk when buying secondhand with a brand you've never tried before, I would suggest taking advantage of free returns or free exchanges.  Why not buy a few pairs in different sizes and colors, write down the style and size, and then go looking for them on a secondhand app like Poshmark, Mercari, or thredUP.  For reference, I have a 26-inch waist, and 35-inch hips, and am 5'3".



1. Neems




Ethics | Sustainable, ethically made in Los Angeles, CA, size-inclusive, woman-owned, made-to-order

Styles Available | Adult Denim

Sizing | custom sizing 

Starting At | $199

Neems denim comes in a variety of styles and lengths, made of organic and regular headstock cotton.  Each pair of jeans is custom-made to your measurements, so you don't have to worry about figuring out a size chart or buying multiple sizes.  There is no risk of overproduction since every pair of jeans is made-to-order.  Neems denim uses absolutely no animal products, and all fabrics are cut using laser cutting machines for energy efficiency.  All workers are paid over the minimum wage.   




2. Boyish


Ethics | OEKO-TEX certified, recycled fabrics, and natural plant-based dyes

Styles Available | Women's Denim

Sizing | 23 - 35 

Starting At | $88

Boyish Jeans is a collection of sustainable women's denim that comes in a variety of colors, styles, and lengths.  My favorite pair that I own are The Billy style in a size 26.  This fit is still sold on their website and you can also find Boyish Jeans secondhand on apps like Poshmark and thredUP.  The inseam of their jeans is on the longer side for my height but I was able to have mine hemmed to the perfect length for me.  One of the many things I love about their jeans is how soft the denim feels and that they mold to your body shape over time.  They do have some stretch styles but I love rigid denim for the fact that it just gets better the more you wear them.  Boyish Jeans denim is like that.


3. Etica




Ethics | Fabrics are certified by Bluesign, ensure the payment of a living wage, no animal products

Styles Available | Women's Denim

Sizing | 24-32

Starting At | $142 

Etica has at it's forefront the ideals of fair labor, environmentally conscious manufacturing and social responsibility.  They take seriously providing living wages, benefits and ability-inclusive opportunities to the people who make their brand come to life.  All their denim is produced at an ethical factory in Puebla, Mexico.  Etica has dramatically reduced their water usage by 90% and energy consumption by 70% without using harmful chemicals.  All of their cotton supports the Better Cotton Initiative, and they also try to use alternative fabrics like Tencel and Refibra, which are cellulose fibers sourced from renewable wood sources. 



4. Warp + Weft


Ethics | Fair labor & wages, sustainable practices & materials

Styles Available | Adult and Childern's denim

Sizing | 00-24 (3X)

Starting At | $68

Warp + Weft is a size-inclusive and affordable denim brand with a variety of styles.  I own a pair of high-rise straight jeans in the color onyx size 0. This style is still available on their website, I actually bought mine through one of the largest online secondhand websites, thredUP.  I took a gamble when buying them secondhand because I had never tried this brand before so I wasn't sure if the size would be a good fit.  I thought I would take the chance since thredUP has a return option, but I didn't have to send them back because they fit perfectly.  A few things I really like about the jeans are that the denim is soft, with just the right amount of stretch making the jeans very comfortable to wear and sit in.  They also don't stretch out or lose their shape.

SHOP WARP + WEFT

5. Oliver Logan


Ethics | Recycled & sustainable materials, BSCI or OEKO-TEX certified ethical production in China, carbon-offsetting

Styles Available | Women's Denim

Sizing | 24-34 (00-18)

Starting At | $68

Oliver Logan ethical denim comes in a variety of styles, my favorite being the Russel Flare in the color Highway 66, size 24.  Oliver Logan is a fairly new sustainable denim brand with a beautiful mission and purpose for sustainability.  Every pair of jeans comes with a lifetime warranty that covers all of their products that fail due to a manufacturing defect.  Even after extended use, they will repair your denim free of charge, or replace it at their discretion.  With my height, I had to get my pair of denim from them hemmed to a shorter length but it didn't affect the way the flare style laid.  I will say that even though the website shows the amount of stretch at 1% I feel that this denim is more stretchy than I prefer.



*Thank you for supporting inthelifeofgray by visiting this site and shopping through my links.

Comments

Popular Posts