Behind the Brand: Una Vida

There are some brands you come across and immediately feel something. Una Vida is one of those brands for me. From the moment I discovered their pieces, I could tell there was intention behind every stitch, every print, and every fabric choice. So naturally, I had to reach out to the founder and ask her all the questions.

Here's what she shared.

How It All Started

Una Vida didn't begin with a business plan. It began with a feeling.

"The brand started from a personal love for handmade textiles and effortless, wearable clothing," the founder told me. "I was inspired after seeing the beauty of hand block printed fabrics and the skill behind them. I wanted to create clothing that felt special but still easy for everyday life."

That's the kind of origin story I love. No overnight success narrative, no hustle-culture highlight reel. Just a genuine love for craft that slowly, intentionally grew into something real. What began as a small idea turned into designing pieces and collaborating with artisans, and over time, that passion became a full brand built around comfort, travel, and timeless style.

The Design Process: Travel, Texture, and Real Life

If you've ever looked at a Una Vida piece and thought this feels like it belongs somewhere beautiful, that's completely intentional.

"Design inspiration comes from travel and everyday moments that feel beautiful and simple," she shared. "I love colors, patterns, and textures that feel earthy yet vibrant at the same time. Many designs are influenced by traditional prints combined with modern, relaxed silhouettes."

But what really stood out to me was this: she thinks about how real people will actually wear each piece. Not a model on a runway. Not a curated flat lay. Real people, on vacations, on casual outings, in their everyday lives. Comfort and versatility are always part of the equation, and every piece is designed to feel effortless, flattering, and easy to style.

That's the kind of design philosophy I can get behind.

How the Clothes Are Actually Made

This is the part that matters most to me, and I think it'll matter to you too.

Una Vida works in small batches. The process starts with selecting fabrics that are soft, durable, and suited for warm-weather wear, including hand block printed textiles and other thoughtfully chosen patterned materials. From there, patterns are developed, samples are created, and skilled makers cut and sew each piece with care.

"Every garment is carefully checked for finishing, quality, and comfort before it is approved," she explained. "This slow process helps ensure each item feels intentional and well made."

Slow process. Intentional. Well made. Those three phrases tell you everything you need to know about how Una Vida operates.

Sustainability and Ethics: The Real Deal

I always ask brands about this directly, because I think it's important to go beyond the buzzwords. Here's what she said:

"We work in small batches to reduce overproduction and avoid unnecessary waste."

And this part especially stood out to me:

"A big part of our fabrics are made using traditional hand block printing, supporting artisan communities and preserving craft techniques. I also use printed fabric too, selecting materials thoughtfully based on quality and longevity."

She also focuses on natural, breathable fabrics like cotton that are built to last and be worn for years, not seasons. And ethical production isn't just a talking point for her. It means prioritizing fair working relationships and mindful sourcing at every step of the process.

This is what sustainable fashion actually looks like in practice. Not a capsule collection with a green label slapped on it. Real choices, made consistently, from the fabric selection all the way to the finished garment.

Setting the Record Straight

I want to address something directly, because I think it deserves a clear, honest response.

Recently, Una Vida faced some public accusations, including claims that the prints used in their garments are digitally mass produced, and that the founder's use of AI makes the brand unsustainable. I asked her about both, and I want to share exactly what she told me.

On the fabric and printing process, she was clear: while a particular print wasn't exclusively designed by her, the garment design and pattern are original to Una Vida. The fabric used for that piece is hand block printed by artisans in small batches, not digitally mass produced. She was transparent in acknowledging that she couldn't speak to whether similar print motifs exist elsewhere, but she could assure me that Una Vida's garments are made in small quantities, with care, every time.

That kind of honesty matters to me. She didn't over-explain or get defensive. She just told the truth.

On the AI question, here's what she shared: as a small business, they use AI for some marketing tasks to help reduce costs to consumers, but never to replace craftsmanship or the handmade process behind their garments. That's a distinction worth making. Using a tool to keep your business running leaner so your customers pay less is not the same as cutting corners on the thing that makes your product meaningful. The hands that make Una Vida's clothing are still very much human.

Greenwashing is a real problem in the fashion industry, and I take it seriously. That's exactly why I ask these questions directly and share the answers with you. Based on everything the founder shared with me, Una Vida's practices are consistent with what they claim. Small batches, artisan collaboration, natural fabrics, and a founder who is transparent even when the questions are uncomfortable. That's not greenwashing. That's accountability.

Her Favorite Part of It All

I always love asking founders this question, because the answer usually reveals the heart of the brand.

"My favorite part is seeing someone connect with something I helped create from the very beginning," she told me. "It is incredibly rewarding when customers wear the pieces and make them part of their lives and memories."

She also talked about the joy of working closely with artisans, the creative freedom to design and experiment, and the meaning she finds in building something that feels personal and purposeful. Even with the challenges that come with running a business, the learning and growth make the journey worth it.

That kind of answer? That's how you know a brand is the real thing.

Final Thoughts

Una Vida is exactly the kind of brand I love to spotlight here. Small batches, artisan collaboration, natural fabrics, and a founder who genuinely cares about the people wearing her clothes and the people making them. If you're building a wardrobe that's more intentional and less disposable, this is a brand worth knowing.

Go check them out, and if you want more slow fashion finds and sustainable style content like this, make sure you're subscribed to the newsletter. That's where I share the good stuff first.

Have a brand you think I should feature? Drop it in the comments below.

Comments

Popular Posts